Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Coach K

Welcome to our Dixie State Women’s Basketball page. I am beginning to start my third year here at Dixie State College and I have never been more excited for a season than this year. I am from Plankinton, South Dakota which has a population of 600 people (probably what some people have in their graduating class). I started playing basketball at Huron University in South Dakota and ended at Briar Cliff University, in Sioux City, Iowa (where Coach Larson is from). Both schools were NAIA Division II. I played on some unbelievable teams and as much as I would like to think I was the “star”, I really was just a great role player (but don’t tell my players that.) I finished my career with a runner-up finish in the National Championship game my sophomore year and an overall record of 124-14. I feel that the college athletic experience is something I will never forget. College is where you find your friends for life. I still keep in contact with so many of my teammates and will never forget those times. Of course I also watch old game films and find myself yelling at things I should have been doing on the court. Good thing I didn’t coach myself, not sure if I would have given myself that much playing time haha!
Since I transferred to another institution, it took me five years to finish school. That gave me the opportunity to be a student assistant that final year. That is when I decided this is what I want to do with my life; become a college coach. I decided to follow my college coach and be an assistant at Metro State University in Denver, Colorado. I had a great experience there and decided I needed my Master’s if I wanted to pursue this profession. I was hired to be a Graduate Assistant at Northwest Missouri State University and I received my Master’s there as well. I spent two years there before I got my first shot as a Head Coach.
My very first head job was at College of Saint Mary’s in Omaha, Nebraska, a small private all-women’s institution. Talk about an experience! I didn’t have an assistant, was a first year coach, and had to find ways to finish practice with 7 kids. I learned more that first year than I ever could imagine! We got better every year and my final year we made it to the NAIA National Tournament and finished in the Sweet 16. We made history that year. Coach Larson joined my staff that year after she got done playing, so she likes to take a lot of credit for going to Nationals (We will let her think she played a big part).
I am excited to share my experiences with you about Dixie State! We are very excited for this upcoming year and I can’t wait to tell you how awesome my staff and players are! Go DSC!

2 comments:

brooke said...

Wow!!! You can really talk!! I hope not all your blogs are going to be this long. HaHa! What am i saying your emails are sooo much worse. Anyway, i am excited to follow your team this year. Practice is just around the corner and i can only imagine the conditioning that is going on now. Wish you guys all the luck. Brooke

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a hot lookin' coach! Good luck this season! :-)