Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Move, By: Tanya Clark

Ok, so basically, the 16th of August rolled around and it was time to say my goodbyes. The summer was awesome and it was a heartbreaker to leave all of my friends! I spent the summer back home in Beaumont , CA at my dad’s house. He kept trying to coax me to stay at home. “C’mon Tanya, there are plenty of schools out here you can go to! Just stay here.” I’m sure every college student went through that with their parents! I think everyone just got used to me being home, especially my little sister Erynn. “Whose going to read to me Tanya?” I was like seriously, I don’t want to leave!
The car ride was interesting to say the least. At first I was just going to drive up to St. George by myself but my dad offered to drive me. Between my dad singing country songs and my little sister asking me a million and one questions, I was going insane! My dad was going like 90 miles per hour. Until we got to the gorge I swear riding with him is like riding a roller coaster at an amusement park. But we always get there faster when he drives so that’s a plus!
I was really anxious when we arrived in St. George! We pulled in at about 11:30 p.m. and I wanted to meet my roomies! I already knew one, Jess Jones and I had seen Allison on my visit. Nani, on the other hand, was a mystery. A name like Nan …i I was like sweet, she’s Hawaiian! Boy was I wrong! The early morning hit and we were getting ready to leave the Ramada Inn. I was just really excited. My dad looked a little blue but I knew he was happy for me.
Around noon, I officially met my roommates! I found that Nani’s real name was Danielle and she was from Laguna Nigel. It didn’t take long to unload all of my stuff because there were plenty of hands. The coaches came by and made sure everything was going ok and they got to meet my family. My dad thought they were players at first! The apartment was very nice, I was impressed. I finally got my own room for the first time in my life! After a short tour of St. George, my family left and I started to get teary eyed. I’m a huge daddy’s girl. My advice to those who get homesick: Stay busy! Have fun with new friends and take each day in as a learning experience.
To make a really long story short, Nani, Allison and I had no couches, no table, and no lamps. When Jess Jones came into town, we acquired a few of those things and more. Getting it all over here took a while. Three girls, a couch, all of Jess’ things and an entertainment center isn’t the best combo on a hot summer’s day. It was hard, but we worked together to get the apartment furnished and we even made friends with our neighbors. After we worked out all the kinks we could truly call St. George our home away from home!

No comments: