Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Recruiting Experience, By: Tanya Clark

As the season winded down at Arizona Western College , The national junior college in which I transferred from, I had an important decision to make. I had already gone on one official visit to a Division II school back in the Midwest and Dixie State was next on my list. I was skeptical yet optimistic about visiting Dixie because I did not know much about it.
My first phone conversation with Coach K went something like this… “So Tanya, would you like to come on a visit to Dixie ?” I was excited that she asked me to come! I said, “well, sure sounds good.” A mixture of seriousness, sarcasm and friendly jokes embodied our conversation. Our first meeting was at the Las Vegas airport. Coach K greeted me with a smile. Her and Coach Larson just got back from the NCAA Final Four and were tired, worn out and ready to get back to St. George. We did however have a minor delay. Coach Larson’s bags got lost and were in Africa or something random like that and she wouldn’t be able to get them until the next day. Even though both coach’s had a long day and were pooped, they still had enough enthusiasm to make me feel welcomed. And it was a definite plus because they took me to McDonald’s for my first meal on the way back… seriously who could beat a 99 cent double cheeseburger!
My host “Family” was amazing. Chet and Courtney (2 seniors this year) made me feel like I was part of the team already. The whole recruiting process is so difficult because it is hard to determine whose being real and who is just being nice because they want you to attend their school. Everyone at Dixie was so real and straight forward. I got to experience the wonderful scenery of St. George and I met a lot of great administrators who seemed to support and encourage their student-athletes. Dixie ’s business program was a homerun for me. The graduation rate was high and it seemed challenging. Academics is so important to an athlete. The sport is not always going to be there, eligibility runs out. However, an education lasts a lifetime.
My first meeting with all of the girls was kind of awkward. A lot of “hi, where are you from?” And then I met Megan Tidwell, and everything went uphill from there! We talked; we were both Cali kids so that was an instant connection. The other girls were kind of quiet at first, but once we got on the floor everything just flowed. I think that’s an important part of a basketball visit to be able to get a feel for the girls and how they play. I meshed really well with the team. What sealed the deal for me was Megan’s famous dance! Seriously, all of the girls were amazing.
I chose Dixie because it was right for me. Coach K knows what she is doing when it comes to the game of basketball and Coach Larson is just as knowledgeable about the game. They both care about their players and want to see them succeed not just on the court but off it as well. As my time ended at Dixie I had a tough decision to make. The two schools I was considering were so different in so many ways. However, Dixie had something special. It’s important for a player to feel comfortable in their surroundings and I felt most comfortable at Dixie . The recruiting process was long and difficult, but in the end I based my decision on education, the coaches and the team. I chose what was best for me and I wouldn’t change a thing.

No comments: